Monday, July 17, 2006

Ty Cobb Left Religious Message 45 Years Ago!



"Don’t Wait Until Some Great Crisis Comes Before Deciding On Christ.”


Of all the batting tips and fielding recommendations given out by the great Georgia Peach, Ty Cobb, none compares to this advice which his life depended on at the time of his death 45 years ago today.

Ty told Reverend J. R. Richardson, of the Westminster Presbyterian Church, that he wanted to “put his complete trust in Christ to save him.” Reverend Richardson and Reverend E. A. Miller, who both administered the Gospel to Ty Cobb in his last days, believed that Cobb died in a Christian faith. “It is my firm conviction that Mr. Cobb died in a Christian faith and died in the Lord,” said Rev. Richardson.

Cobb, however, lived a fascinating life in baseball and as a country boy growing up in rural north Georgia. He loved to hunt, fish, jog, and converse with friends and associates over the great game of baseball of which he excelled. “And in his field of endeavorment, Mr. Cobb won just about all that could be one,” suggested Rev. Miller. “He will continue to bless humanity through the hospital that he has endowed and the educational foundation that he has set up.”

More so, Cobb found peace in the end. “I believe in Jesus, I pray and I pray often. I believe in prayer,” said Mr. Cobb. And in one of the last visits to Mr. Cobb’s room, Rev. Miller asked, “Mr. Cobb, do you want me to pray with you?” Mr. Cobb closed his eyes and waited for the prayer. He was heavily sedated and had only a short time to live, but until the end he was conscience of the faith that had given him eternal life.

More excerpts from Reverend E. A. Miller:

“Mr. Cobb has gone the way which he will not return, but he will still live in the Hall of Fame, and in the memories of millions here in America.”

“His influence will continue to bring out the best in youth.”

“He was never satisfied with being second best.”

“Does Jesus care, speaking to you who are living? Does Jesus care when I’ve said goodbye to the dearest on earth to me? And a sad heartache until it nearly breaks. Is it up to him, does he care? The course of that song answers the question. Oh yes, he cares, I know he cares. His heart is touched with my grief. The days grow weary and the long nights dreary, I know my savior cares.”

“I did not come this afternoon to preach Mr. Cobb’s funeral, he preached his own funeral, I preach mine and you preach yours.”

“I probably knew Mr. Cobb as no other living minister knew him.”

~Wesley Fricks

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home